Parkinson’s affects 119,000 Canadians, 8,400 of whom live in the Maritime Provinces. If you want to make a long term difference to the lives of those living with Parkinson’s, their caregivers and families, support services, education programs and research, please consider leaving a legacy or planned gift to the Parkinson Society Maritime Region by:
- Including the Society as a beneficiary in your will for a specific sum or a portion of your estate;
- Donating part of your assets, for example, stocks, bonds, or mutual funds;
- Naming the Parkinson Society Maritime Region as a beneficiary of your retirement funds, RRSP, RRIF or pension;
- Naming the Parkinson Society Maritime Region as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy.
- Please speak to an accountant or financial advisor to understand the impact on your personal taxes of making a bequest. Even more important, we urge you to consult with a lawyer so that he or she can help you put your wishes in the correct legal form.
When you write your will, you can make a bequest in the form of cash or property by including the Parkinson Society Maritime Region as a beneficiary. You may also make a residual bequest to the Society; a residual bequest is a gift of all or a fraction of whatever remains after all debts, taxes, expenses and other bequests are paid. Here is an example of what you can write:
"I give to the Parkinson Society Maritime Region, currently located at 150-7071 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, NS, Canada B3L 2C2, the sum of $_______ (or ________% of my estate) to be used in support of its charitable purposes."
If you own stocks, bonds, or mutual funds shares that are traded on certain stock exchanges, you can donate them to the Parkinson Society Maritime Region. The impact on your taxes is substantial. Please consult a financial advisor for more information on how to go about making this kind of donation.
You may also give a gift of RSP or RIF funds by naming your estate as the beneficiary and then providing an equivalent bequest to the Parkinson Society Maritime Region.
Life Insurance Policy
You can name the Parkinson Society Maritime Region as the owner and beneficiary of a new or existing life insurance policy. A gift of life insurance is separate from your estate and has no effect on its assets. Please consult a financial advisor or lawyer for more information. New policies may be eligible for current tax benefits.
Charity Life Direct
Parkinson Society Maritime Region has joined the Charity Life Direct Insurance program. For more information, click on the Charity Life logo below.
To leave a legacy please contact us at 902-422-3656 or 1-800-663-2468. You can also subscribe online by clicking on the Logo.